Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sweep this! Southern broom superstitions

            I had a friend who freaked out when she spotted me sweeping my living room one night and attempted to sweep the dust out the door. She grabbed my hand and instantly informed me that sweeping out dust after dark invited bad luck and should be avoided at all costs.
            That’s just one of the many superstitions revolving around brooms, many of which are predominant in the South.
            For instance, I’ve heard that if a person sweeps a broom across your feet, you must spit upon the broom or risk either going to jail or having bad luck. Variations on this theme include being hit with the broom while someone is sweeping; again, you must spit on the broom in question or risk bad fortune.
            Sweeping around people or in front of them has also been known to cause that person bad luck. I think the idea here is that you are sweeping away their good energy or sweeping them away.
            Other sweeping superstitions include:
            Don’t sweep out a house on Fridays.
            Don’t sweep out a house on New Year’s Day.
            If you sweep under a sick person’s bed, you will get bad luck.
            If you sweep under someone's feet, they will never marry. 
            If you move, don’t bring the old broom with you or it will bring bad luck.            
            Never step over a broom, even if you have to cross over it to pick it up. Some people place a broom across the door, especially on Halloween, to keep witches from entering the house, assuming that they, too, know that stepping over a broom brings back luck.
            Do you have a broom superstition? Let us know.

Cheré Coen is the author of “Forest Hill, Louisiana: A Bloom Town History,” Haunted Lafayette, Louisiana” and “Exploring Cajun Country: A Historic Guide to Acadiana” and co-author of “Magic’s in the Bag: Creating Spellbinding Gris Gris Bags and Sachets.” Write her at cherecoen@gmail.com.

23 comments:

  1. My mom swept over my feet with a broom by accident. How do I reverse this bad luck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always heard to spit on the broom to "reverse" the bad luck if someone sweeps you foot/feet.

      Delete
    2. That's interesting. Haven't heard that one. Thanks for posting.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. i've heard you have to believe that bull crap for the bad luck to work on you

      Delete
  3. Have you ever heard that if a broom hits your foot that means you will go to jail?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have u ever heard if a broom hits your foot that you will go to jail? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, isn't it? Thanks for writing, reminded me of this post. I moved my blog to WeirdSouth.com so I'm moving this post there today.

      Delete
  5. if i break a broom am I forever cursed (sad boi hours)

    ReplyDelete
  6. just ran across your page question please if you sweep a white Yeller spider off your ceiling with a plastic broom it felt on the bed so you hit your bed with the broom sweep it off can you tell me a old saying I can't do to keep the spirit Put a Spell on my

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that’s true but not right so it might not really work but it’s false I think is what I was told by someone that said they didn’t know

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing! I've heard about sleeping and feet and spitting on the broom or else you get bad luck but I've never heard of sweeping out the door on Fridays or sweeping on New Year's or the sweeping it under a sick person's bad so thank you for that information. For some reason the last like 5 years I've gotten really superstitious so I like to know this kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I understand the Howlin Wolf song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you need help to get the right lottery winner numbers ? There is a spell caster called lord Bubuza, he reveal lottery winning numbers with the help of his spell. His spell is super active. My name is Nang T and I won $18.7 million with the help of his spell. Contact Lord Bubuza via WhatsApp: +1 951 442 2214 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework @ hotmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in a nail place in Lady swept by my feet and in an over my feet with a broom how do I get rid of the Superstition without spitting on it because I could’ve. spit on her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen and experienced the reason why people call Dr Amber a God on Earth, I never believed that men like him existed until he prepared a spell for me that made me a winner of Two Million Dollars. This man has made my life beautiful with his lottery winning number. I have made a vow to myself that I will testify of his miraculous work. Call or text +13183065044 or email, amberlottotemple@yahoo.com or visit: amberlottotemple.com if you need his help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post
    https://www.hygienelinks.com/products/brooms-and-mops-uae.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing!
    We are leading Household cleaning products UAE
    https://hygieneforall.com/product-category/home-hygiene/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best Air Freshener for Home
    https://hygieneforall.com/product/lamont-air-freshner-300ml/

    ReplyDelete
  15. relocation companies in kuwait
    https://helpxpat.com/kuwait/

    ReplyDelete